International recognition for Tourism Sustainability Commitment
Tourism Industry Aotearoa (TIA) is New Zealand tourism’s peak industry body. As the only independent association, TIA represents all sectors of our large and diverse tourism industry.
The New Zealand Tourism Sustainability Commitment has won the 2021 Skåli Internation Tourism Award in the Educational Programmes and Media category. The Tourism Sustainability Commitment (TSC) was developed by TIA and aims to see every New Zealand tourism business committed to sustainability. Under the TSC framework, TIA has recently launched the Tourism Carbon Challenge, urging businesses to measure and consider their carbon footprint ahead of New Zealand’s 2050 net zero carbon goal.
TIA is also deeply involved in the recovery and future of tourism in New Zealand, collaborating with regions to encourage and support a regenerative tourism future. The regional programme supports businesses to provide strong community and environmental connections, both sustainably and economically.
Tourism businesses can sign up to the Tourism Sustainability Commitment for free and access support to work towards their twelve key business commitments:
(1) Resilience - Focus on long-term business performance and resilience
(2) Investment - Invest to create value, opportunities and to drive sustainability practices
(3) Innovation - Innovate to solve problems, create new ways to do things and increase productivity
(4) Visitor Satisfaction - Strive to always meet or exceed visitor expectations
(5) Visitor Engagement - Embrace Aotearoa New Zealand’s culture and heritage
(6) Culture and Heritage - Engage with visitors about how to be great travellers within Aotearoa New Zealand
(7) Employer of Choice - Attract, support and develop the workforce needed to flourish and succeed
(8) Community Engagement - Actively and positively engage with the communities in which we operate
(9) Sustainable Supply Chains - Have socially and environmentally sustainable supply chains
(10) Restoring Nature - Contribute to protecting and enhancing Aotearoa New Zealand’s environment
(11) Carbon Reduction - Act urgently to contribute to Aotearoa New Zealand’s transition to a net zero carbon economy
(12) Eliminating Waste - Take responsibility for the entire life cycle of products and services
To find out more and sign up, visit the Tourism Sustainability Commitment website.