Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on intentions to travel among Australia consumers
Tourism New Zealand (TNZ) published the results of a survey for assessing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on intentions to travel among Australia consumers. See below some of the key findings and please visit TNZ’s website for more details.
- The majority of Active Considerers (ACs) in Australia remain concerned about the potential risk of contracting COVID-19.
- The greater part of ACs rate New Zealand’s health response to COVID-19 as excellent or good and this improves perceptions of New Zealand for around two-thirds of ACs.
- Catching up with family and travelling internationally are the activities ACs miss doing the most.
- Holiday is by far the most common reason for a first overseas trip for both ACs and non Active Considerers (non-ACs).
- Demand for international travel remains high for ACs, with over half wanting to travel abroad within the next six months of restrictions being lifted; this is the opposite for non-ACs, who are more prepared to wait much longer to travel internationally.
- More ACs are ready to come to New Zealand within one month of borders being open; the level of demand within six months period remains stable at 59%.
- Enjoyment and relaxation are the key needs that would motivate ACs to travel internationally once COVID-19 passes.
- Over a half of ACs plan to travel overseas as often as they did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic; this proportion has increased from June to November.
- ACs plan to travel domestically as much or more than they did before COVID-19, with only a small proportion planning to travel within their own country less frequently.
- Demand to travel domestically among ACs is high, with over half intending to do so within the next three months.
- The vast majority of ACs and non-ACs support creating a trans-Tasman safe travel zone; with only a few people vocalising concerns around an outbreak occurring in either country and the logistical implications of that.
- ACs plan on taking extended holidays when visiting New Zealand for the first time after restrictions are lifted: the majority wanting to travel for more than 5 days.